In this video, Dmitry gives 5 tips to roofing subcontractors looking to become general contractors. It can be a difficult transition, especially in such a demanding industry. You will have to take on more responsibility and be willing to take a leap of faith but putting in the hard work and extra streps will pay off in the long run and start you on your way to becoming a successful general contractor. If you want to want to learn more information like this, make sure to keep an eye out for our next announcement on the Roofing Insights Business School in Minneapolis.
01:32 1. Be willing to change your mentality.
03:02 2. Never try to be a sub and GC at the same time.
04:32 3. You will always have risks.
05:16 4. Overcome your fears.
05:58 5. Have faith in yourself.
5 Ways to Go from Subcontractor to Contractor
The Journey from Subcontractor to Contractor
How do you envision your journey to success? Do you imagine it filled with challenges and obstacles, or do you picture the path to success being easy? Forget your expectations for one second and watch Dmitry’s five keys to go from employee, to sole proprietor. You might just learn something.
Let’s begin with an overview of Dmitry’s business model.
1. You have to change your mentality. Humble yourself real quick and be aware that you do not know what the road to success looks like. If you did, you wouldn’t be here right now. At the same time, don’t fret: you’re willing to learn, and that’s the first step.
2. Have you ever tried using two toilets at the same time? It sounds silly, almost as comical as you trying to be both a subcontractor and a contractor. You need to drop the “sub” from your title. You’re the boss now, and the outcomes of jobs fall squarely on your shoulders.
3. As a business owner, you’re now taking on all the risk. If a job goes over budget, it’s your profit margin that suffers. One of your employees skips work? That puts your bottom line at risk. Being a contractor is rewarding, but be prepared to endure a litany of headaches.
4. It can be scary starting something new. Your wife and kids might not like the idea of you leveraging their security in the name of your dreams. But you know what’s scarier? Working for someone else the rest of your life, never attempting to prove to yourself just how great you are.
5. You’re scared, nervous, or have no idea how to handle a newfound problem. Who do you turn to? Your mom? Yeah, not likely. It’s essential that you surround yourself with trusted, reliable, and intelligent people. Find committed employees who are invested in your goals. Once they prove their value, reward them and keep them happy. Show them they’re not just a part of your machine, but that they’re valued and you appreciate their efforts to make your life better. The old cliche is true: you will get out of life what you put into it.
You might say, “But Dmitry, I only have $10,000. I can’t start my own business.” You’re wrong. You don’t need to be a millionaire to become a business owner. But you have to be financially diligent. Start investing in your company, and also yourself by saving as much money as you can. Then, when the time is right, put your heart and passion into your new business. Like I always say, if I could do it, so can you!
The Voice of the Roofing Community
Roofing Insights Amazon Store:
Metal Roofing Benefits
Home owners don’t always realize their options when it comes to roofing. Most have to have their roof done again and again because they aren’t aware of their options. They don’t know about metal roofing. Metal roofing is one of the best roofing choices you can make. It is weather resistant and one of the most durable roofing materials available.
The roof is one of the most important components of a house or any building. It is of various shapes, sizes and structures. It can be formed of different materials depending on the location, weather conditions and owner’s preference as well as other factors like cost and purpose.
It is imperative for you to repair your roof before you have to replace it as it would be more costly to do the latter than the former. It gives you more savings to repair your roof than to replace it. A good roof over your head keeps you and your home’s occupants protected from adverse weather conditions.
Gutters are an important feature of a house because they protect its foundation. Avoiding water damage can be tricky if you do not have the right gutter system. Water can destroy your house and drastically decrease the value. A professional gutter system will be seamless besides the corners. A professional will construct on-spot gutters to ensure that they are seamless and have not been damaged.
As the weather is getting warmer more of us are finally able to rediscover our gardens and patios. The thing is though that after so many months of complaining about the cold and the gloominess, the moment the sun comes out we British love to start whining about how uncomfortably hot it is, and that it’s too bright. The answer may well be patio roofs.